Occasionally we have situations where a member of our baseball community is injured while participating in a sanctioned event, generally games or practices. If this injury is of a serious nature, the injured party may need to avail themselves of our insurance coverage which is provided by Allsport Insurance Marketing (http://www.allsportinsurance.com). As is often the case, a determination to file a claim cannot be made until a later time when the full extent of the injury and all treatments are known. However, in order to ensure that this option is available at a later date, the injured party should ensure a notice of the accident is filed within thirty (30) days from the accident. You need to be aware that our insurance is a supplementary insurance and should be used after all your primary and secondary health care plan claims have been settled. The process to file is:
- Print an “Athletic Accident Claim Form” from the Allsport web site http://www.allsportinsurance.com/Images/accidentclaimform.pdf.If you do not have access to the site, please contact Linda Sam (email@example.com) for a form.
- Read the instructions on page 2.
- Fill in the required information on the form. Note that the dentist and/or physician, if applicable, will need to complete their sections of the form. You would do this only if/when you are making a claim.
- For the “Certification of Association or Club Executive” section, have your home park president or team manager or coach provide the information including their contact info and signature. Injuries to staff on all-star teams can be certified by GVMBA executive members.
- The “Group Policy No.” for April 1, 2008 to April 1, 2009 is AS2603
- Send the completed form to Allsport as per the instructions on the form.
- If you will be making a claim with the submission of the form, please attach the appropriate invoices. If not, note that you will be making a claim in the future. This gives you the option to claim later. You can always decide not to make the claim.
- It would be a good idea to call Allsport and tell them the form is coming and confirm that you will be making a claim. This initial communication will also establish a contact person if you have any issues for your claim.
If it becomes apparent that you will need to make a claim, you will now have until ninety (90) days after the accident to submit the expense documentation for the claim. If the treatment is not completed within this timeframe, you should contact Allsport and advise them of the situation. If you decide that a claim is not warranted, contact Allsport and advise them thusly.